Monday, April 4, 2011

my mother's eye is scratched

This morning my eye feels itchy, as if there is a very fine hair that if I could just remove, all would be perfect. The little orb would go back to lying in its perfect solution of fluid.  But this is an illusion.  No matter how much I scratch at or poke at or try to tug the sleepers from the corner of my eye, it still feels as if something infinitesimally small is trying to work itself free and not succeeding.

Earlier this week my mother suffered a scratch on her eye.  She  is being treated for macular degeneration with laser therapy to reduce the errant blood vessels that are blocking her macula, that centerpiece of the eye that keeps things in focus.  When she went home, she was in pain, and the pain increased, and her eye was swollen.   She phoned the doctor who had her come back to his office, and learned that her eye had been scratched.  "This sometimes happens" was the doctor's explanation.  (Wouldn't you like to throttle him?)

Am I feeling sympathy pains, or worrying that I will soon suffer the same eye disorder as my mother since it is genetic.  Or maybe is it  just a case of itchy eyes.


1 comment:

Jee Leong said...

Hi Patty,

You could write a poem about the scratched eye.

Jee